Primary Muscle Group: Shoulders
Secondary Muscle Group: Abdominals
Equipment Needed: None
The Benefits of Air Punches
Air punches are a very easy & effective fat burning exercise that almost everyone can do and it doesn’t put too much pressure on your joints when you compare it to some other plyometric exercises such as tuck jump, jumping squats etc.
Air punches are a great and convenient exercise as it can be performed anywhere without any equipment and very limited space. It can be done as part of a warm up or as your main cardio vascular exercise during your workout because it’s really easy to control the intensity by punching fast or slow. Air Punches are also known as Shadow boxing. Air Punches are a fun, effective and safe way to help you keep your workouts varied and we recommend them as part of any home workout. Fun Fact: Originally, The name, Shadow Boxing comes from the practice of standing close to a wall and pretending to punch the shadow you project onto it.
If you are looking for ways to get in fit and incorporate Air Punches into one of your workouts then you should check out our Free Workout Plans and our Premium Workout Plans.
The Risks of doing Air Punches
When doing Air punches make sure you don’t over extend your arm. Although this is low risk, you can still injury your shoulder joint by overextending your arm when throwing a punch. Make sure you have enough space around you so that you avoid hitting anything.
So before giving Air Punches a go, here's exactly how to do them without risking pain or injury.
How To Do Air Punches
1. Start with one foot in front of the other at shoulder width apart.
2. Put your hands up by your head and make clench your fists, making sure your elbows are tucked into the side of your torso.
3. Throw one punch at a time straight out in front of you and alternate between each hand.
For Perfect Technique
• Have a slight bend in your knees
• Alternate punches once the lead hand has returned to the starting position
• Twist the body with the motion of the punch – see video for the perfect technique.
Once you have mastered the Air Punch exercise you can try alternative exercises that target the similar muscle groups such as;
How To Do Jumping Jacks
1. Stand upright with your legs together and arms at your sides.
2. Bend your knees slightly, and jump into up into the air.
3. As you jump, spread your legs to be about shoulder-width apart and stretch your arms out over your head. When landing make sure your land on your toes with a very slight bend in the knee joint.
4. Jump back to starting position.
How To Do A Burpee
1. Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, weight in your heels, and your arms at your sides.
2. Push your hips back, bend your knees, and lower your body into a squat.
3. Place your hands on the floor directly in front of, and just inside, your feet. transition your weight onto your hands.
4. Jump your feet back to softly land on the balls of your feet in a plank position. Your body should form a straight line from your head to heels. Be careful not to let your back sag or your bum stick up in the air, as both can keep you from effectively working your core.
5. Jump your feet back so that they land just outside of your hands.
6. Reach your arms over head and explosively jump up into the air.
7. Land and immediately lower back into a squat for your next rep.